Zupa Toscana Soup

I have maybe had this famous soup once when I've been to Olive Garden, but believe me it was a memorable experience! I searched around for copycat recipes, and finally tweaked things until it tastes perfect. In my humble opinion, even better than the real thing. 

This is such an easy go-to recipe that looks fancy, but really doesn't require that much effort. I have busted it out for many a missionary meal... and even when we found out one of the sister missionaries was lactose intolerant- I could easily just leave out the cream. Now, if you actually want it to taste the amazing way it should, I really insist on the cream. It makes it all the more appealing.


ZUPA TOSCANA SOUP


1 lb. spicy ground pork sausage
2 medium potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, and then cut into 1/4" slices
3/4 cup onions, diced
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups kale leaves, cut in half, then sliced
2 Tbsp. chicken base
1 quart water
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream


1.  Brown sausage in a large saucepan, and remove from pan.  Crisp bacon, and drain.  Chop and reserve with the sausage.  
2.  Cook onions in same pan over medium heat until onions are almost clear.  Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Add chicken base, water, and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
3.  Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Feel free to add more liquid to your liking. Simmer four minutes, season, and serve.   

Comments

Popular Posts